1. this morning was the WORST traveling conditions of the year as i tried to make it to the radio station. i actually drove 20-30 miles per hour and couldn’t see one marking on the road….it was very scary driving down a road that you couldn’t see, expecting to hit the ditch at any time.
2. speaking of traveling, it appears that we’re going to get the high amounts of snow that was expected….don’t be silly in your traveling today…..if you don’t have to travel, don’t…if you must, call ahead to tell let someone know that you’re coming and be sure TO HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT IN YOUR CAR.
3. here’s my storm story….i should actually be dead right now……do you remember back in 1984 when that “wall cloud storm” came from the north and pounded fargo and this area? it actually killed a couple of people in the fargo area….well, i was on my way to eden to see a then girlfriend. i left roslyn and the sun wash shining, but ahead it looked like smoke, and all of sudden i was in instant blizzard conditions….i’ve never seen anything like it….well, instantly i accidently drove into the ditch and was stalled…..so i did what any “IDIOT” would do…i got out and tried walking to get help…walking in a blizzard…real smart…plus all i had on was a light jacket and no gloves or hat……anyway, a pickup with ‘state radio’ in it happened to come by me as i walked in ZERO VISABILITY….the guy told me that they were stopping every vehicle in eden, and not letting them travel…..but they let him go because he had state radio….he asked me and i quote, “WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU WALKING TO?” i told him i was walking to the area radio station to get help, and i pointed in the direction of the station…he told me, “THE STATION IS THE OTHER WAY…YOU’RE WALKING INTO AN OPEN FIELD.” if God hadn’t sent this guy on the road, i would have died that day…i know that now…..PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, never leave your vehicle if you get stranded…..i wish i would have had a cell phone at that time…..i ended spending almost TWO DAYS with friends in roslyn…too bad i wasn’t dating jeannie at that time, i wouldn’t have EVER left roslyn…ha ha
4. another lesson you learn as you get older is to wear gloves, scarves and hats when you go outside….we can’t seem to drill that into our kids heads, but then again, i remember when we were young….doesn’t it tork you off that the older you get, the more you find out your parents were right?
5. we have the greatest and most unique preaching situation in hecla over lenten season…we have three churches involved…st. john’s lutheran in hecla, trinity lutheran in houghton, and united methodist church in hecla all combine to have services together….it’s a great situation, and yours truly, pastor ryan mutzenberger, and pastor al magnuson all work so well together….see? different denominations CAN work together if you let them….
6. speaking of the lenten season, i love preaching during this time….it’s a wonderful story, and can be a very powerful message to people, especially people who are lost and need a reason to go on….
7. the new york post has apologized for the cartoon that implied that the stimulus bill was written by a chimp….that’s obvious….everybody knows it wasn’t written THAT good…..
8. the state department is advising vacationing americans to avoid mexico…just like people from mexico have done…
9. JOKE OF THE DAY:
An older lady gets pulled over for speeding.
“Is there a problem, Officer?”
“Ma’am, you were speeding.”
“Oh, I see” says the older woman.
“Can I see your license please?” says the officer.
She replies, “I’d give it to you but I don’t have one.”
“Don’t have one?” says the officer.
“Lost it, 4 years ago for drunk driving” says the older woman.
“I see… Can I see your vehicle registration papers please.”
“I can’t do that” says the lady.
“Why not?” asks the officer.
“I stole this car” says the lady.
“Yes, and I killed and hacked up the owner” says the older lady.
“You what?” says the officer.
“His body parts are in plastic bags in the trunk if you want to see” she
The Officer looks at the woman and slowly backs away to his car and calls
for back up. Within minutes 5 police cars circle the car. A senior officer
slowly approaches the car, clasping his half drawn gun.
“Ma’am, could you step out of your vehicle please?” says the backup cop.
The woman steps out of her vehicle.
“Is there a problem sir?” she says.
“One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the
owner” he responds.
“Murdered the owner?” she says, looking puzzled.
“Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car?”
The woman opens the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty trunk.
The backup cop says “Is this your car, ma’am?”
“Yes,” she says, “here are the registration papers.”
The officer is quite stunned.
He says, “One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving
The woman digs into her handbag and pulls out a clutch purse and hands it to
the officer. The officer examines the license. He looks quite puzzled.
He says, “Thank you ma’am, one of my officers told me you didn’t have a
license, that you stole this car, and that you murdered and hacked up the
She says, “Bet the liar told you I was speeding, too.”
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE TODAY..USE COMMON SENSE SO WE CAN BE TOGETHER TOMORROW TOO…