1. in our “today and yesterday” segment, we feature actor DEAN JONES who appeared in numerous WALT DISNEY movies including “THAT DARN CAT”, “HERBIE THE LOVE BUG”, “THE UGLY DACHSHUND”, “THE SHAGGY D.A.” and many more. DEAN JONES turns 79 years old today….here’s DEAN JONES as we remember him from his famous movie roles…
and here is DEAN JONES today on his 79th birthday!!!
2. here’s more on the death of “CAPTAIN 11” DAVE DEDRICK who died this past weekend at the age of 81…you can see some wonderful pictures on my previous post, or check out a few more right here…
remember ‘THE BIG NEWS’ on KELOLAND TV? here’s picture of the original crew including DAVE DEDRICK doing the weather, JIM BURT doing the sports, and DOUG LUND AND STEVE HEMMINGSON doing the news…boy, this takes me back…
3. here’s my memories of “CAPTAIN 11″…my brothers and i used to run from the bus to the house to watch his show at 4pm…always wanted to be on the show to flip one of the switches, but never made it…..my brother TROY and i did make the “toy chest” one time, but of course, the key didn’t open the toy chest for us. watching ‘CAPTAIN 11’ is also where we found out that ELVIS PRESLEY died in 1977…my MOM was ironing in the living room, and we were laying on the floor watching CAPTAIN 11 when the news of ELVIS’S death scrolled across the bottom of the screen…REST IN PEACE, DAVE DEDRICK….YOU DID A GREAT JOB….
4. one more time…..
“ONE MAN IN EACH CENTURY IS GIVEN THE POWER TO CONTROL TIME. THE MAN CHOSEN TO RECIEVE THIS POWER HAS BEEN CAREFULLY SELECTED…HE MUST BE KIND, HE MUST BE FAIR….HE MUST BE BRAVE….YOU HAVE FULLFILLED THESE REQUIREMENTS AND WE FROM THE OUTER GALAXY, DESIGNATE TO YOU, THE WISDOM OF SOLOMON, AND THE STRENGTH OF ATLAS….YOU…..ARE….CAPTAIN 11!!!!!”
5. here’s DAVE DEDRICK’S obituary from the sioux falls argus leader…
David H. Dedrick of Sioux Falls, SD
Published: January 24, 2010
Sioux Falls – David Hugo Dedrick passed away on January 22, 2010 following a lengthy illness. He was surrounded by his loving family and his presence and spirit will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
Dave Dedrick was born to Sylvia (Marie) and Daniel Dedrick on March 29, 1928 in Marshalltown, Iowa. The family moved to Fort Dodge, Iowa and then to Sioux Falls, SD in 1935. He attended Longfellow School and Washington High School, working at KSOO/KELO radio during his junior and senior years, beginning his broadcasting career at the age of 15. Upon graduating in 1945, he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps where he served 4 years and was honorably discharged with the rank of Sergeant.
Returning to Sioux Falls, Dave enrolled at Augustana College and married the love of his life, MarJean Schuknecht, on December 2, 1949. After 18 months of college and during the Korean Conflict, Dave was recalled to active duty with the Marine Reserves, returning to Sioux Falls in Feb. of 1952.
When television first aired in South Dakota on May 19, 1953 he became the first announcer on KELO-TV, beginning of a 44-year career in the television industry. News, sports, weather, commercials and variety shows all filled his albums of memories.
On March 7, 1955, Dave launched a whole new facet of television that focused on the children of the 4-state coverage area. For the next 42 years, Captain 11, played by Dave Dedrick, was host to 3 generations of children and appeared in about 180 towns and cities across the region. Captain 11 became the longest running host of a children’s show in the history of television.
Other accomplishments include 17 years on morning radio, and 16 years of bowling shows that were televised for Sioux City, Iowa. He hosted more than 25 telethons, along with 44 years of weather shows. He became Huset’s Speedway first announcer and continued in that position for the track’s first 17 years through 1975. Many knew Dave Dedrick as the “Voice of Huset’s Speedway” and he was inducted into the Huset’s Hall of Fame in 2003.
In 1989 he wrote and published “It Ain’t All Cartoons”, an autobiographical chronicle of his life.
Dave retired from broadcasting on December 30, 1996. He was inducted into the South Dakota Broadcasters Hall of Fame on April 18, 1997, and inducted into the South Dakota Hall of Fame in 1999. The Captain 11 set and other memorabilia is displayed in the State Historical Museum in Pierre. The national Weather Service presented him with a Special Service Award for 44 years of service to the people of KELO-LAND. He was inducted into the “Silver circle” by the National Academy of Arts and Sciences for “Lifetime Achievement”. He was awarded the “Distinguished Service Award” by the Cosmopolitan Club. The Sioux Falls Catholic Diocese awarded Dave the “Bishop Dudley Excellence in Media” award on Sept. 17, 1998. His favorite award was the medallion he carried on his key chain citing 33 years of sobriety.
Grateful for having shared his life are his wife of 60 years, MarJean, son Dana (Sioux Falls), daughter Sunshine Dawn Cady (Terry) Sioux Falls, one granddaughter, Natasha (San Francisco), four grandsons, Ian (San Francisco), Eli (Sioux Falls), Travis Snyder (Sioux Falls), and Justin Snyder (Sioux Falls), sisters Jody Swenson of Sioux Falls, Dorothy Cady of Lennox, SD, one brother Dwain Dedrick, of Boulder, CO, numerous nephews, their wives and children. He was preceded in death by his parents, younger brother Bill, and son David Patrick Dedrick.
Funeral services will be 11:00 am Wednesday at St. Mary Catholic Church. Interment will be in St. Michael Cemetery. A Wake service will begin at 7:00 pm Tuesday at St. Mary Catholic Church.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials are sent to the Foundation For AIDS Research, 120 Wall Street, 13th Floor, New York, NY 10005-3902.
Dave Dedrick symbolized talent, integrity, honesty and principle through his efforts to better the lives of those around him, and in so doing, bringing creativity, grace and character to the people. From the thunderous applause of thousands, to a quiet conversation with a child, Dave Dedrick proved that he indeed possessed the Wisdom of Solomon and the Strength of Atlas.
For obituary and online registry, please visit www.millerfh.com.
6. “GUT WRENCHING” “STOMACH TURNING” “NAUSEATING” “SUPER FRUSTRATING”….”SAME OLE VIKINGS…” these are just some of the words i have heard or seen in the last few hours concerning the minnesota vikings loss to the new orleans saints….c’mon vikings….SIX TURNOVERS? HANG ON TO THE DAMN BALL….that was the most frustrating part of the game…oh well, as vikings fans say every year…”WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR.”
7. new orleans opponent in the super bowl? the indianapolis colts who came back from an eleven point deficit to defeat the new york jets in indy yesterday…..
8. january was a big month for people ‘coming clean’….JOHN EDWARDS finally admitted he was the father of his mistress’ baby…MARK MCGWIRE finally admitted that he used steroids….the big question now is this…ANYTHING YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT O.J.?
9. this week, OPRAH WINFREY will interview JAY LENO…then next week, JAY will probably take over OPRAH’S show….
10. the top prospect for the oakland a’s baseball team, is leaving baseball to join the priesthood…so……he’s going from the a’s to the padres?
11. JOKE OF THE DAY:
A blonde and her husband are lying in bed listening to the next door neighbor’s dog. It has been in the backyard barking for hours and hours. The blonde jumps up out of bed and says, “I’ve had enough of this”. She goes downstairs.
The blonde finally comes back up to bed and her husband says “The dog is still barking, what have you been doing?”
The blonde says, “I put the dog in our backyard, let’s see how THEY like it!
Two Blondes With Hammers….
Lynn and Judy were doing some carpenter work on a Habitat for Humanity house. Lynn was nailing down house siding, would reach into her nail pouch, pull out a nail and either toss it over her shoulder or nail it in.
Judy, figuring this was worth looking into, asked, ‘Why are you throwing those nails away?’ Lynn explained, ‘When I pull a nail out of my pouch, about half of them have the head on the wrong end and I throw them away.’ Judy got completely upset and yelled, ‘You moron! Those nails aren’t defective! They’re for the other side of the house!’
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY EVERYBODY…