after my GRANDPA died this past year, the family, of course, went thru his things. my GRANDMA AND GRANDPA, thank goodness, saved about every picture they recieved from thier family. so, now i’m the proud recipient of all of my photos of my family. check this one out…this is me in early grade school at BRITTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. notice the tooth missing…ha ha
a lot of people think that this picture looks EXACTLY like my son TYLER…
1. let’s kick off the blog by talking about actor JOHNNY WHITAKER…JOHNNY was a child actor, who starred in fantastic shows and movies like “FAMILY AFFAIR”, “SIGMUND AND THE SEAMONSTERS”, and many more. here he is on “FAMILY AFFAIR”, one of my favorite shows of my childhood. it’s BUFFY AND JODY and the doll that everyone wanted, MRS. BEASLEY.
JOHNNY also starred in one of my favorite saturday morning shows, “SIGMUND AND THE SEAMONSTERS.”
JOHNNY WHITAKER also originated the role of SCOTTY BALDWIN on the soap opera “GENERAL HOSPITAL.”
today, JOHNNY WHITAKER is 51 years old, attends some autograph sessions with other stars from the golden days of tv…i would LOVE to attend one of those shows….here’s JOHNNY WHITAKER today….
2. this weekend, i had the opportunity to watch a movie that my brother TROY AND I used to love watching when CBS actually had movies on late night. remember “THE CBS LATE NIGHT MOVIES?” well, one of our favorites was the “PLANET OF THE APES’ series, and this weekend, i watched “ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES.”
so, in our “whatever happened to” segment, we will feature two of the stars of this series….RODDY MCDOWALL AND KIM HUNTER…ladies first….
KIM HUNTER was an actress who won an ACADEMY AWARD for her role as “STELLA” on “A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE”, and she won a GOLDEN GLOBE for her role on the soap opera “THE EDGE OF NIGHT.”
but she is probably best known for playing ZIRA, the sympathetic scientist on “PLANET OF THE APES.”
here’s KIM HUNTER in the early days of her career.
did you know that for awhile KIM HUNTER was blacklisted on HOLLYWOOD back in the 50’s due to rumors over her involvement with communism? yep…
KIM HUNTER went on to play many other roles in her lifetime, and she died in 2002 at the age of 79….here she is in later times.
RODDY MCDOWALL was a child actor in HOLLYWOOD. he starred in hits like “MY FRIEND FLIKA” and “HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY” from 1941…here he is as a child actor.
in his adult roles, RODDY MCDOWALL is best known for playing the role of CORNELIUS” on “PLANET OF THE APES.”
he also appeared in movies and tv shows like “THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE”, “DIRT MARY, CRAZY LARRY” and episodes of ‘THE TWILIGHT ZONE”, “PINKY AND THE BRAIN” and he played MR. SOIL in the animated hit “A BUG’S LIFE.”
here’s RODDY MCDOWALL in the middle of his career.
RODDY MCDOWELL continued to act until he died of lung cancer at the age of 70 in 1998. here’s a later photo of him…
3. JEANNIE AND I went to a movie for the first time in a long time. on friday night we went to see the alien movie “PAUL”, which stars SETH ROGEN as the voice of the alien…
it’s rated “R”, and for good reasons..ha ha….i loved the movie and JEANNIE absolutely hated it…she said it was one of the WORST movies she has seen in her lifetime…i do think it’s a “guys movie” filled with lots of jokes and references that guys will love….i recommend it for guys, and maybe some girls…
4. a young lady that i used to know from VEBLEN is having a birthday today. her name is KELLY LIEN ANDERSON…and wishing her a happy birthday today brought back many memories….KELLY’S parents owned “LIEN’S RECREATION” in VEBLEN…a place for everyone to eat, and it was the kid’s hangout as well….my brother TROY AND I must have paid for KELLY’S college tuition with all the quarters we put in the pinball machines….i’ve mentioned it before, that TROY AND I were “pinball wizards.” we used to rack up a bunch of games and leave them for the kids…the younger kids LOVED us….
5. well, the emotions have started with MITCHELL’S graduation coming up in a few weeks…..i was coming home from BRITTON on saturday, and while thinking about things, the tears started…in case you didn’t know, i’m a big softie….i can shed tears at the drop of a hat….and i’m glad i’m that way and not stone cold and never showing emotions….this next few weeks are going to be very hard…..not only is MITCHELL graduating, but this is IT for JEANNIE AND I with the WARNER SCHOOL….can’t beleive we’re at this stage of our lives….
6. speaking of MITCHELL, i’m pretty excited about this. he is going to try and take his girlfriend to a movie at the STRAND THEATER in BRITTON this weekend….i’ve bragged to MITCHELL about this incredible theater and he wants to see a movie there as well…it really makes my heart proud to know that MITCHELL will be going to the same theater that his dad went to dozens and dozens and dozens of times…..
7. a SOUTHWEST AIRLINES plane made an emergency landing after a large hole tore into the top of the fuselage. nobody was hurt, but they were all charged a “sunroof fee.”….ha ha
8. a dentists in NEW YORK’S CHINATOWN, was mistakenly mailed 31 POUNDS OF MARIJUANA….on the bright side, his patients no longer mind going to the dentist…
9. a man from MINNESOTA pleaded guilty to bank robbery after a teller failed to understand his illiterate hold up note that read “GIVE MONEY, I GUN.”…do you see now kids how important it is to stay in school if you want to succeed at your chosen profession?
10. CHARLIE SHEEN’S opening night of his live show was a disaster and a complete bomb….his show in DETROIT was met with boo’s, massive walk outs, and demands for money back….how bad do you have to be to not be entertainment in a town that has the LIONS AND THE PISTONS?
11. KIM KARDASHIAN sparked controversy by showing up at the NICKELODEON KID’S CHOICE AWARDS in a skintight, low cut mini dress….pour some of that green slime on her and it becomes “DAD’S CHOICE”…..
12. the missing BRONX ZOO cobra has turned up inside the reptile house after almost a week on the lam….”THE SNAKE IS BACK IN IT’S CAGE”, hasn’t been uttered in NEW YORK since BERNIE MADOFF went to jail…
13. it looks as if there’s a strong chance that the prosecution may actually get a conviction against BARRY BONDS in his ongoing trial…unless some brainiac gets the bright idea of having him try on a bloody glove…
14. JOKE OF THE DAY:
The teacher gave her fifth grade class an assignment: Get their parents to tell them story with a moral at the end of it.
The next day the kids came back and one by one began to tell their stories.
“Johnny, do you have a story to share?” the teacher asked.
“Yes ma’am. My daddy told a story about my Aunt Barbara. She was a pilot in Desert Storm and her plane got hit. She had to bail out over enemy territory and all she had was a flask of whiskey, a pistol and a survival knife. She drank the whiskey on the way down so it wouldn’t break and then her parachute landed right in the middle of twenty enemy troops. She shot fifteen of them with the gun until she ran out of bullets, killed four more with the knife, till the blade broke, and then she killed the last Iraqi with her bare hands.”
“Good Heavens” said the horrified teacher. “What kind of moral did your daddy tell you from this horrible story?”
“Stay away from Aunt Barbara when she’s drinking.”
HAVE A GREAT MONDAY EVERYBODY….