GOOD TUESDAY EVERYBODY!!! Wow. Can’t believe how fast time flies! 51 candles on my cake today. It seems like just a year ago that I was celebrating my 50th birthday! Anyway, here’s what my cake looks like today.
And, by the way, you can tell that I’m 51 years old and slipping. While preparing for this blog, I had to look at my phone to see what THE DATE WAS!!! Unreal!
This wonderful blog is sponsored by Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD. We have a couple of vehicles that just came in on trade that I want to feature.
First of all, for great summertime fun, check out this 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited “X.” It only has 68,000 miles on it.
Or how about a vehicle that is the favorite of many many people! We have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL with only 31,000 miles on it.
For these vehicles and more, check out our complete website at http://piersonford.com/ or give us a call at 1-800-627-1237. You can also stop by and see us in the auto plaza, north highway 281 in Aberdeen!
1. LET’S HAVE SOME FUN!!
I never knew the moon had it in him.
My cousin Lori posted this on my Facebook page. LOVE IT!!
I could give you a list of people that fit into this next one!
This one makes me mad. It’s just not fair to us guys!
NO KIDDING WOMEN! This one is So true!
2. Well, the good news is, my Minnesota Wild are in the playoffs!!!
The BAD news is, that they are down 2 games to none to the Chicago Blackhawks. Here’s the deal, the Blackhawks are an incredibly talented team. However, they are the Wild’s arch rivals. And they are beginning to become my “Dallas Cowboys of the NHL.” Which isn’t a good thing! Anyway, my birthday wish for today is that the get a big win tonight! We will find out later tonight if my wish comes true.
3. One of my favorite shows on TV is “The Simpsons”. It amazes me that a cartoon show can stay fresh and funny after almost 25 years. “The Simpson’s” started out in 1987 on the “Tracey Ullman Show”, and got their own show in 1990 on Fox. It is now the longest running TV show in history. I believe it was “Gunsmoke” that ran for 20 seasons. Anyway, my point is, someone had some fun and posted pictures of real life people looking like Simpson’s characters. Check this out.
This one is good. Bart’s good friend Millhouse.
And, by far, my favorite one, the Simpson’s nerdy next door neighbor, Ned Flanders.
4. I’m sure that most, if not all of you know that I am a huge Washington Redskins fan. And, obviously, if you are a Redskin’s fan, you CANNOT like the Dallas Cowboys. (see post #2). With that said, I found a t-shirt that I think I truly must have. See what you think!
LOVE IT. MUST FIND IT.
5. My beautiful wife and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary on April 25th. Being the romantic person that I am, I planned an entire weekend with her without her knowing anything about where we were going. That is, until the night before we left when she practically beat it out of me. My wife despises surprises, so she FOR SURE wanted to know where we were going. (That’s why at Christmas time I don’t buy her gifts until December 23rd or 24th!!)
Our journey started out on the Friday night of our anniversary weekend, as we trekked thru my wife’s hometown areas of Roslyn, SD and Eden, SD. We actually lived in Eden for a short time after we were married. We ate at the hotspot in town called “Club Eden.” EXCELLENT FOOD. EXCELLENT SERVICE.
After we ate we traveled a few miles down the road to Sisseton, SD to see the great Eddy Raven in concert. Eddy was a favorite of ours in the 80’s and 90’s in country music. We even had the opportunity to meet him afterwards.
Eddy Raven has had some great songs in the past like I’m Gonna Get You.”
And, one of our personal favorites “In A Letter To You.”
Eddy Raven was awesome. He has had so many hits from the 70’s thru 90’s that you forget about. The opening act was called “Just Between Friends”. They are a bunch of Sisseton friends who got together to jam. Seriously? THEY ARE MY FAVORITE REGIONAL BAND THAT I HAVE EVER HEARD IN THIS AREA. They played all kinds of classic songs. LOVE THEM.
After the concert we ventured off to Watertown, SD to spend the night. The next morning we took off for Minneapolis for a play. Here’s the deal. We were on our anniversary weekend, and I got tickets to see a play called “THE GREAT DIVORCE.” ha ha. It’s not about divorce, however. it’s about heaven and hell.
After the play, we enjoyed a very very expensive meal at the place called “Seven.” We have never before, and probably will never again spend $200 dollars on a meal for two. But, it was fun once.
That night, we took our son’s advice and went to a scary movie called “Unfriended.” I use the word “scary” lightly. We did not like the movie at all. With all the computer crap in the movie, it was way more geared towards people like our sons.
We spent the night at a very ritzy hotel that is hooked on to the Mall Of America. It’s called Radisson Blu.
It was the most amazing hotel we have ever stayed at. From the moment you get out of your vehicle they wait on your hand and foot. For a tip, obviously. But it was so cool. On Sunday we shopped at the Mall Of America, and then we had lunch at Dick’s Last Resort.
If you have never been there, here’s what they do. They are kind of an “insult food and drink place.” The waiters are kind of rude to you, but not offensive. IT WAS A BLAST. They put silly paper hats on your head and they write something on them. We saw a little kid with his hat that said “Daddy’s little mistake.” HILARIOUS. We gave the waiter back about as much crap as he gave us. And then it was homeward bound after a beautiful weekend together. Aren’t I a romantic?
6. Which brings us to our summer vacation. We can’t decide where to go, so it’s looking like we’re going back to our favorite place.
COLORADO. We love being in the mountains. In fact, we love it so much that we’re planning on moving out there sometime in the next three or four years. And, just to beat some of you to the punchline, NO, we are not moving there for the WEED. That’s the first comment we hear from people. But, NO. And I mean a BIG “NO.”
7. With all the negativity coming out of Baltimore recently, I thought I would pass along a couple of things. First of all, sometimes I’m ashamed to have come from the “media” area in radio. Radio and TV are vastly different, but we are both “media.” I think that 24 hour news channels like CNN and FOX can make or break news stories. They can turn them slightly positive, or focus on the negative. Unfortunately, they both went for the negative. All we saw were the riots and clashes. They never posted pictures like this.
A picture like that goes a long way in the healing department.
8. We lost a goodie in the past week. Singer Ben E. King died at the age of 76.
He is mostly known for singing one of the biggest ballads in the history of music. “Stand By Me.”
I think about everybody knows the words to that song.
9. A couple of us were talking the other day about the great comedian Jerry Lewis. My friend wondered if he was still alive. Yes he is. Jerry Lewis is now 89 years old. 89!!! He got his start as part of the duo of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. By the way, I am a HUGE, HUGE Dean Martin fan.
Here’s Jerry Lewis today at 89!!!
10. Apparently, I’m not supposed to see Alan Jackson in concert.
For my birthday, my beautiful wife bought me tickets to see Alan Jackson in Brookings, SD. Well, the original date of May 2nd was postponed until May 7th. Now, the May 7th date has been postponed to a later date which has not been announced yet. So now, we are sitting on tickets to see AJ and have no idea when or IF he is even going to play.
The fun story about seeing Alan Jackson is this. Alan played at We-Fest in Detroit Lakes, MN probably 10 years ago. My two brothers and their wives and my wife and I attended the event. All I wanted to see was Alan Jackson. His show begins are 10:30-11:00 at night, and he had a period in his concert where he played like 3 or 4 slow songs back to back. My fellow concert goers had a few too many, were sunburned and were extremely exhausted. So, they all voted to leave the AJ concert and head back to the hotel. This totally infuriated me, because I bought the tickets for the event for everybody, and all I wanted to see was Alan Jackson. Well, this has become a running joke in my family, so now I’m thumbing my nose at them because I’m FINALLY going to see his entire show. MAYBE. POSSIBLY. WHO KNOWS?
11. JOKE OF THE DAY!!
A guy is going on an ocean cruise and he tells his doctor that he’s worried about getting seasick. The doctor suggests, ”Eat two pounds of stewed tomatoes before you leave the dock.” The guy replies, ”Will that keep me from getting sick, Doc?” The doctor says, “No, but it’ll look really pretty in the water.”
HOW ABOUT ONE MORE.
A husband got his mother-in-law a cemetery plot for Christmas. It came with a coffin, tomb stone, the works. Next Christmas comes by and the husband gets her nothing. When the mother-in-law asks, “Why didn’t you get me a gift?” the husband says, ” Because…You haven’t used the one I got you last year!”
HAVE A TERRIFIC WEEK!!