Here we go with the first of my newly designed blog.
This pretty much says it all.
This updated blog is designed to promote my new radio show “Country Legends Jukebox”, and to promote classic country music in general. HOWEVER, I will still feature the blog that you know and love and have supported for many many years.
This blog is still sponsored by the awesome people at Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD.
We have some incredible leases going on now at Pierson Ford. Ford has really stepped it up with leases on the best brand in the market. FORD.
Check out our website at http://www.piersonford.com/. You will find all of our inventory and some of the specials going on right now. When you find your vehicle at Pierson Ford, you become a friend and not just a customer. Our service department is second to NO ONE. We have a terrific body shop as well. Come on in and see us in the auto plaza in Aberdeen. Call us at 1-800-627-1237.
1. LET’S CRANK IT UP WITH SOME FUNNIES!!
I am known for my puns. So, I won’t let you down.
I have been called a dummy in my life as well.
I wonder if my former English teacher will find this amusing.
So, THAT’S what those lines are for. Must have been a lot of murders on our grade school play ground.
I have a lot of people that think they would find this in my head. IF ANYTHING.
I find this next one UTTERLY ridiculous.
2. On to country music news.
The latest update I have heard on Mel Tillis is that he’s still in rough shape.
It makes me sad to see one of my all time favorites suffer like he has in the last year or more. I have been a huge Tillis fan since the early to mid 70’s. Mel Tillis and the Statesiders played Aberdeen back in 1976. It’s the same year he won “Entertainer Of The Year.” He is not only an incredible singer and songwriter, but he’s hilarious! I actually did the illegal thing and recorded his show on a tape player. C’mon, you can’t blame me. I was in 5th grade and didn’t know any better. Mel Tillis is 84 years old. LOVE YOU MEL.
3. The great and beautiful Loretta Lynn suffered a stroke recently and is recovering at home. The 85 year old living legend was to appear in Sioux Falls this summer, and I had plans to go. I can’t believe it that out of the dozens, of not over one hundred stars I have met, I have NEVER met Loretta Lynn. I had big plans on seeing her and hopefully meeting her and getting a picture with her. Here’s hoping for a full recovery for you Loretta. Good health and God’s blessings are coming to you!!
4. My new show “Country Legends Jukebox” is going over BONKERS. It is doing exactly what I had hoped it would do. We have only been on the radio for two months, but I’m already getting tons of nice compliments on the show. We are now appearing every weekend on five stations in the upper midwest, with hopes of having 15-20 stations on board in the first year. T-shirts are coming soon. I will give you details in a few weeks.
5. I wanted to share a couple of pictures with you. Yes, this is ME in these pictures. Please don’t judge me, it was 20 years ago or more. HA HA
This was one of the greatest thrills in my radio career. Most people know that I am a HUGE Hank Williams, SR. fan. He is my all time favorite singer/songwriter. Back in the 90’s while doing radio in Lisbon, ND, we brought in Hank’s band, “The Drifting Cowboys”. And, they featured TWO of the original members. And they were instrumental parts of the band. No pun intended.
Here I am with the original fiddle player Jerry Rivers and the original steel guitar player Don Helms.
Yes, these are the guys you hear when you hear the whining steel guitar on “Cold Cold Heart”, and the amazing fiddle playing on “Jambalaya.”
I also have had the opportunity not once but TWICE to spend some time with the queen of country music Kitty Wells, plus her son Bobby Wright, and another legend, Kitty’s husband Johnny Wright, who was part of the duo of “Johnny and Jack.”
And the final picture today is one of yours truly and Ernie Ashworth. Back in the 90’s, my beautiful wife and I went to Nashville so that I could accept an award for small market station of the year for our station in Lisbon, ND. We were voted the top small market station by an independent music entity. Getting the legendary award was Ernie Ashworth.
Why the corny white suit with lips on it? Because of his signature song!!
I will be sharing other memories in blogs to come.
6. I may never go to the bathroom again.
Everyone knows my hatred for clowns. Of course, it could be target practice!!
7. Sad news. One of the James Bond’s died. And he was my favorite James Bond. Roger Moore was 89. This was my favorite James Bond movie, by far!
And, of course, it sure doesn’t hurt to have Sheena Easton doing the theme song.
8. Speaking of clowns and movies, the Stephen King novel “IT” has undergone a change and will be released in move theaters. Will I go? Yep. And I will probably have my head buried in my popcorn bucket.
9. Check this out. Sadly, it’s true.
We have become such a pathetic world. We are so quick to criticize others, but usually do not take the time to compliment and thank others. I’m not saying everybody, just the world in general. If you watch the news, it’s all negative. People talking bad about each other. And don’t even get me going about Congress. Bunch of whiny babies. Plus, the world seems to have lost respect for their elders and others. I had a road rage incident just this morning where a young punk threw the “F” word at me not once but twice. And all over me waiting at a stop light until the car coming at me went by me. Crazy that I would wait for a car and not try to hit him.
10. HOW ABOUT A LAUGH!
A father buys a lie detector robot that slaps people when they lie.
He decides to test it out at dinner one night.
The father asks his son what he did that afternoon.
The son says, “I did some homework.”
The robot slaps the son.
The son says, “Ok, Ok, I was at a friend’s house watching movies.”
Dad asks, “What movie did you watch?”
Son says, “Toy Story.”
The robot slaps the son.
Son says, “Ok, Ok, we were watching an “X” rated movie.”
Dad says, “What? At your age I didn’t even know what an “X” rated movie was.”
The robot slaps the father.
Mom laughs and says, “Well, he certainly is your son.”
The robot slaps the mother.
HAVE A TERRIFIC WEEKEND!