HELLO FROM THE FROZEN TUNDRA!!!! We have gone hundreds of hours of not reaching 32 degrees above zero. And we are now officially over 40 inches of snow for the year. Very tired of this. Extremely tired of shoveling. My wife and I even went to Mexico for a week, and we’re STILL tired of it all!!! C’MON SPRING. SHOW YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACE!!!
How about some fun stuff!!!
Isn’t this the truth? If they can make up, we ALL can. ha ha
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA……BATMAN!!!
I wonder how much the soup cost? A couple of BAWKS?
Well, we haven’t talked since the Super Bowl. ICK. What a horrible waste of time. The game was horrendous and the commercials were sub par. The halftime show was mediocre. Geez, I sound like a grumpy old man.
This is how much of America feels though.
Being in the marketing business for 30 years, I end up seeing a lot of clever advertising strategies.
This one is BRILLIANT!!!
So, many of you don’t know this, but I received a miracle back in 2011 that not only changed my life but SAVED my life as well. It’s a spiritual miracle that I’ve been sharing with hundreds of people so far. Plus, you get to hear my life story as well. If you’re interested in ordering a copy of my DVD, just go to my website and check out the store. I will mail them out as soon as I get the order. They are 20 dollars each plus postage.
I have to give props to my official photographer of Country Legends Jukebox. His name is Don Bremer from Bremer Photography in Aberdeen, SD. He took a very mediocre looking man and made him look fairly presentable. This next one is one of my favorites.
Speaking of photos, my cousin posted a photo the other day on Facebook of a picture of me and my brother Troy when we were very small. DOGGONE IT WE WERE CUTE AT ONE TIME. My brother Troy is in the front, and that’s me to the right of him.
Yes my friends, there was once hope for me!!!
My radio show Country Legends Jukebox recently celebrated it’s 100th show. I talked about all of the country stars that I have met and some I wanted to meet. You can hear the show by going to countrylegendsjukebox.com and hit the “listen” button.
One of the people I talk about is Little Jimmy Dickens. I visited with him many times in person. Most of them backstage at the Grand Ole Opry. And, if you know ANYTHING about me, you know that I am a diehard fan of Hank Williams, SR. Well, I recently found a couple of photos of Hank and Jimmy. They were terrific friends. And did you know that Jimmy Dicken’s nickname was “TATER?” Yep, Hank Williams gave him that nickname after Jimmy’s hit “Take An Old Cold Tater and Wait.”
This next one is Hank, Jimmy, Red Foley and Minnie Pearl getting ready to take off for another tour.
So, I am a HUGE fan of Laurel and Hardy. Laurel and Hardy along with Charlie Chaplin are my all time favorite funny people. So there’s a movie out called “Stan and Ollie.”
Steve Coogan is BRILLIANT as Stan Laurel. He really channeled him. I am not a fan at all of John C. Reilly. When he’s with Will Ferrell, it’s like fingers on a chalkboard for me. HOWEVER, he was brilliant as Oliver Hardy. I loved this movie so much!! I wasn’t watching two actors. I was sucked so deep into the movie that it felt like I was a fly on the wall watching the real lives of Laurel and Hardy. The movie focuses on their later years and it is done with class. Highly recommend this one. I WILL buy it when it comes out.
My radio show is going over bonkers. I never dreamed that the show would be this big in under two years. We now have 11 stations including two in Pennsylvania. If you haven’t heard the show yet, go to countrylegendsjukebox.com and listen to one of 98 shows!! You can also buy our official T-shirt’s, belt buckles and autographed photos.
My goal for the show is to get it nationwide. So,if the show isn’t on in your area, call your local country station and tell them to go to my website!
The last remaining member of “The Browns” has died at the age of 87. Maxine Brown died with family by her side in Little Rock, Arkansas. Maxine, along with her sister Bonnie, and their brother Jim Ed Brown, composed “The Browns”, who had quite a few hits in the 50’s and 60’s. They were all made members of the Country Music Hall Of Fame in 2015.
Maxine is on the right of Jim Ed.
Of course, the Browns are mostly known for a million selling record called “The Three Bells.”
Your blog is sponsored by Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD. Have you seen the new Ford Ecosport yet? It is amazing. It’s a bit smaller than the Ford Escape and has some great options on it. Check this out.
Great gas mileage, super sleek look. The Ford Ecosport may be the vehicle for you.
This one is funny. Just remember that I TOAD you so.
You’re doing it wrong.
This one is corny. UNICORNY!
You’ll like this one.
2. Well, today marks 54 candles on the birthday cake. 54. I sit here thinking about that, and I have NO IDEA how I got to 54 so quickly. I do know one thing, life is short. Life is quick. You close your eyes and you age 3 years. It’s scary. I don’t know if I’m getting a cake today or not, but I anticipate this being needed.
Anyway, my birthday started out incredible today. Some of the sales staff and office staff meet for breakfast every Saturday morning before work. So, today, some of my good friends on the Pierson Ford sales staff came to breakfast dressed as “JAYS”. Each of them had different “JAY” attire, and they even used my words and slogans and catchphrases. My stomach hurt from laughing. Here are a couple of pictures from the event.
I work with some incredible people. They make coming to work fun.
3. If you have read my blog for years, you know that I celebrate my birthday with the legendary Tammy Wynette.
Every May 5th when I was on the radio, I would wish Tammy a happy birthday and then play one of her songs. One year while I was in radio in Lisbon, ND, I sent a fax to her office wishing her a happy birthday and I told her the story of how I played a song for her every year. Lo and behold, about five minutes after I sent it, Tammy sent a fax back. That was incredibly cool! I have it framed at home.
So, Tammy, I wish you a happy heavenly birthday. And, I dedicate my favorite song of yours to you! Love you Tammy!!
4. My gorgeous wife and I went to see the new “Avengers” movie the other night. This movie is setting all kinds of box office records. It has an amazing amount of super heroes in it. We found out one thing. We haven’t seen HALF of the super hero movies that were featured in the movie. Looks like we need to sit down and have a movie marathon.
5. It is expensive going to the movies. Our theaters in Aberdeen are AMC Theaters. I like their company, but the one complaint I hear over and over is that their prices are way out of line to see a movie. It costs a little more than ten dollars to get in and that doesn’t count the popcorn and pop. The reason I bring this up is that AMC announced yesterday that they are dropping the movie prices to $6.99 at the theaters in Aberdeen. WOWZERS! That is going to make a lot of families super happy.
6. Here is a typical night at our home. This is no kidding either. My wife and I arrive home anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30. We make supper and head to our recliners to watch about two hours of “The Office.”
I am serious when I tell you that we just started the entire season over on Netflix for probably the 8th to 10th time! We love this show. We sometimes talk with the lines of the show. Plus, we catch new things sometimes.
Now that I think about this, we are incredibly old and boring people!
7. Let’s do some today and yesterday fun!
Remember the show “The Rifleman?” Chuck Connors was in the starring role with Johnny Crawford playing his son. Chuck is gone from this earth, but get this. Johnny Crawford is 72 years old. SEVENTY TWO YEARS OLD. How can that be?
Johnny has done some acting since then, but is mostly known for being a bandleader with his own band. Here he is today.
Johnny Whitaker was in two of my favorite shows from the 70’s. He played Jody on “Family Affair”, and he starred in a Saturday morning favorite “Sigmund And The Seamonsters.”
Johnny Whitaker is now 58 years old.
Anissa Jones played “Buffy” on the show. She, sadly, lost her life back in 1976 at the tender age of 18. Stupid drugs. Claimed another beautiful life.
When I was a kid one of my favorite movies was “Escape From Witch Mountain.” One of the stars of the show was a child actor named Kim Richards. I always thought she was such a cutie pie.
Kim Richards is now 53.
My brothers and I never missed the Saturday morning show “Land Of The Lost.” One of the actors was Kathy Coleman. She played “Holly.” Remember the theme? “Marshall, Will and Holly, on a routine expedition…….”
Kathy Coleman is now 56.
Mason Reese was very well known in doing commercials. He is known for coining the phrase “borgasmord.” He couldn’t say smorgasbord. Or at least he couldn’t for the commercials. Mason Reese is now 53.
Well, that was fun. We will do it again soon.
8. JOKE OF THE DAY!! (One of my favorites)
A man is walking in a graveyard when he hears the Third Symphony played backward. When it’s over, the Second Symphony starts playing, also backward, and then the First. “What’s going on?” he asks a cemetery worker.
“It’s Beethoven,” says the worker. “He’s decomposing.”
Let me introduce myself in case you forgot who I am. My name is Jay. I’m six foot tall. I weigh 196. I have blue eyes, and was voted most beautiful eyes in my senior class of 1982 at Langford High School in Langford, SD. So, now that we know each other AGAIN….LET’S ROCK AND ROLL!!!
Our blog is sponsored by Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD. Great lease specials are happening at Pierson Ford. The F-150’s are flying off the lot. Well, actually DRIVING, but flying sounds better. Plus the brand new 2018 Ford Expeditions are in. They are newly redesigned and are AWESOME.
And don’t you just LOVE that color? Contact us at Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD for more information. Call us at 1-800-627-1237 or check us out online at https://www.piersonford.com/
1. LET’S HAVE SOME FUN.
Most of you know by now that I’m a huge fan of the “play on words” type comedy. I am also a huge fan of puns. Check these out.
HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!!!
And finally, I hope I’m not SPREADING my comedy too thin on this one.
2. Well, yet ANOTHER April snowstorm has rocked South Dakota. The entire state was under a blizzard warning on Friday. Luckily for the Aberdeen area, we didn’t get anything. Parts of our state received over a foot of snow. YUCK. My wife was flying home from Vegas on Friday and got stranded in Minneapolis. Fortunately, she is staying at a hotel hooked on to the Mall Of America. POOR GIRL.
3. I’m continually working on my show “Country Legends Jukebox.”
My new t-shirts for the show are complete and will be available on the new website.
My t-shirts will be $20 plus shipping and handling. I’ll let you know when you can purchase them, then I’ll mail them out to you. You will also be able to find out where you can listen to the show at. And we’re hoping to have some older shows on the site as well. I’ll keep you posted.
4. Ever since I was a little kid, my two favorite football teams have been the Washington Redskins and the Minnesota Vikings. I have always cheered for the Vikings in every game, UNLESS they are playing Washington. It has always been Washington number one, and Minnesota number two. Well, they just flip flopped. It’s now Minnesota number one and Washington number two. Why? KIRK COUSINS. I have been a diehard Cousins fan since the Skins drafted him. But, I think that my Redskins have disrespected Kirk for the last three or four years. I think that the Redskins took a franchise quarterback and made a mockery of him. My Skins have been looking for a franchise quarterback for years and finally found out. And they blew it. CONGRATULATIONS MINNESOTA!!
One of my sons works in a sporting goods store in the Twin Cities and he just picked us up a cool jersey.
My son Mitchell has been a diehard Redskins fan as well. He feels exactly the way I do, and he has also turned his allegiance to the Vikings while Kirk is playing.
My Redskins have been in disarray ever since Dan Snyder bought the team. We have made dumb decision after dumb decision. We have missed the playoffs because of dumb decisions made in the front office. We have let quality players get away, and we replace them with mediocre players. I just can’t take it right now. Move down to number two Redskins. Kirk Cousins and the Vikings are now number one.
And let me beat you to the punch. I am NOT a fickle fan. I’m still cheering every week for WASHINGTON, it’s just that the VIKINGS will get a majority of my attention.
5. I have to vent about something. I didn’t dare do it on Facebook, but I will do it here on my own blog. There is no amount of money that I would take to be a school superintendent during the winter months. Yesterday area schools called off early because of our “blizzard warning.” Well, Aberdeen barely got two flakes, and some other areas didn’t get any snow until after school would have been out. And of course, the bickering and badgering started on Facebook.
Two things. NUMBER ONE. School leaders are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they HAVE school and the weather hits, then people are angry that they didn’t call it off. If they call off school, people are angry because their kids aren’t in school. IT’S RIDICULOUS. I finally had to get off of Facebook yesterday because my blood pressure was rising.
NUMBER TWO. Why am I so strong on this issue? I was caught in a blizzard back in 1984 and should have DIED. Seriously, I should have DIED. Being in my early 20’s, I felt I was ten feet tall and bulletproof. I went into the ditch and decided to walk to a business that I knew was just down the road. Luckily for me, the man upstairs sent a vehicle by that stopped me and picked me up. Turns out, I was walking straight into an OPEN FIELD and not toward the business. I would have surely died out in that field. So, now you know why I am thankful that schools take the bull by the horns and make decisions that are in the best interest of the kids. It’s about the kids, not about the adults.
6. Are you ready to see what some beautiful people look like today? Most of them have aged quite nicely.
Loni Anderson from “WKRP In Cincinnati” is now 72 years old. Check this out.
Erin Murphy played Tabitha on “Bewitched.” I know how hold she is because she’s my age. 53.
The spoiled brat Nellie on “Little House On The Prairie” was played by Alison Arngrim. Thankfully Alison is nothing like the character she played. I remember as a kid wanting to reach thru the TV and grab Nellie. Anywho, Alison is now 56.
The beautiful Lynda Carter played the original and best “Wonder Woman.” Lynda is now a gorgeous 66.
Every red blooded man was in love with Bo Derek. Her most famous movie was “10” with Dudley Moore. Not a great movie, but Bo was in it. Bo is now 61.
This last one REALLY makes me feel old. Charlie from the original and BY FAR BEST “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” movie, was played by Peter Ostrum. Are you ready for this. HE IS NOW 60!!! Sixty year old! Where did the time go?
I will do some more of these periodically. They are fun to do.
Well, that’s all the time I have for now. I will truly try and get these blogs out on a more normal basis. Just know that life has been busy and exhausting, but things are hopefully turning around.
It’s been awhile. Life has been, ummm, interesting to say the least. I’m going to do my best to get back on track as much as I can. Thank you for your patience, and to the people that wrote to me, bless you for caring about this blog!!!
My blog is STILL sponsored by Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD.
Pierson Ford has some great lease specials right now on the Ford F-150’s, Escapes, Edge’s, and about any other Ford product on the lot. Have you driven an F-150 in your life? If you’re one of the few who never have, you NEED to. Find out why Ford has been the number one selling truck for 40 years now. FOUR DECADES OF NO ONE BEATING FORD! That is truly amazing by itself.
Stop in to Pierson Ford in the auto plaza in Aberdeen, or give us a call at 1-800-627-1237. And you can shop 24 hours a day at https://www.piersonford.com/
1. LET’S TICKLE YOUR FUNNY BONE!!
I’m sorry honey, what did you say?
This is my kind of graph!
This next one actually made my stomach hurt from laughing.
The demise of a great character. How sad.
Wow, they DO look alike!
2. We begin our blog with some sad news.
90’s country star Lari White has died at the age of 52 from cancer. Lari White had a few pretty good hits in the 90’s. I actually saw her for the first time at a New Country Faces Show in Nashville. I was impressed by her voice and her stage control. Do you remember her?
In Lari’s honor, I present my two favorite songs by her. See if you remember them.
Rest in peace sweet Lari.
3. This past New Year’s weekend marked the 65th anniversary of the death of my all time favorite singer/songwriter Hank Williams, SR. You may recall that he died at the tender age of 29. He is my all time fave because just look what he achieved and created by the age of 29. And with an 8th grade education. Plus, his music still lives on today. Tell anyone “hey good lookin'”, and there’s a good chance they will answer with “whatcha got cookin’?”
This is believed to be the very last picture taken of Hank.
Strange to see him without his cowboy hat.
One of my greatest thrills in the radio business was getting to meet Hank William’s steel guitar player Don Helms, and his fiddle player Jerry Rivers.
I mean, this is the guy whose steel guitar just whines on “Cold Cold Heart”, and this is the guy whose fiddle soars on “Jambalaya.” They could not have been any nicer, and they even shared some stories of Hank. That was truly a dream come true meeting these guys. When I saw them they were still doing some touring as “The Drifting Cowboys”, which was Hank’s bands name.
4. The very beautiful Patty Loveless turned 61 recently. That’s hard to believe that she has crossed the 60 barrier. To me, Patty Loveless is one of the true singers of country music. She has a “pure voice”, and can hit about any range. I have been a huge fan for decades. I don’t hear a lot of “pure voices” anymore in country music. The first time I heard Patty Loveless was when I received her first single called “After All.” I was blown away!!! She had a couple of other minor singles before that, but this is where I became a huge fan. Plus, I think she’s gorgeous.
What is my favorite Patty Loveless song? It’s hard to choose, but I think it may be this one.
5. We saw a couple of great movies lately.
First of all, Gary Oldman stars as Winston Churchill in the movie “The Darkest Hour.” This movie was INCREDIBLE. Gary Oldman has already won awards for his performance, and now he is nominated for an Academy Award for best actor, and the movie is up for movie of the year.
I would be thrilled if Gary would bring home the bacon. Great movie. Dead on as far as history is concerned.
Secondly, we just saw “Three Billboards Outside Of Ebbing, Missouri.”
This is also a very very good movie. It is also up for best picture, and some of the stars are up for an award as well. The story in this movie is amazing, and there are some turns in it that keep you on your toes.
We also went to see “The Post.”
We DID NOT like it. Enough said.
6. Pretty pumped that the movie “IT” is out on DVD. Yes, I already have it. I’ve mentioned before how terrified I am of clowns. This movie continues that horror for me, but it’s a great movie. Plus, I think I decided on a Halloween costume for next year.
Maybe the only way to get rid of my fear of clowns is to become one. Wait a minute, I have had people tell me for decades that I AM A CLOWN.
7. I sat down the other night next to my sleeping wife and turned on the movie “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” This is in my top five movies of all time and I haven’t watched it for awhile.
The terror and the nightmares I used to have when I was a kid came back in full force when “the child catcher” came on the screen.
It’s absolutely amazing. I am 53 years old and it took me right back to my childhood when I couldn’t sleep because of this movie. I’m 53 and I felt that “panic” in my chest when he came on screen. That my friends is the sign of a darn good villain.
By the way, “the child catcher” was played by Sir Robert Helpmann who died in 1986 at the age of 77.
8. I have no idea why, but I thought of Sally Jesse Raphael the other day. No idea why. Not exactly the kind of person I would just start thinking of. I must have been dozing off and saw her on TV or something.
Anyway, it got me thinking about Sally Jesse Raphael and Phil Donahue. Where are they today? Are they still alive? Yes they both are. Believe it or not, Sally Jesse and Phil are both 82 years old. EIGHTY TWO. My how time flies.
Here are a couple of pictures of them. Phil is still married to Marlo Thomas as well. The first picture is back when, and the next one is them today.
9. FINAL FOOTBALL NOTES.
****My Washington Redskins finished the year in disappointing fashion again. My final take of the year is this. If my Skins don’t sign Kirk Cousins to a long term deal, I’m going to go nuts. I don’t know what this guy has to do to get a contract. He finished the year in the top 7 quarterbacks in the league, and had been number 5 for quite a while. Sign the man already!!!
****My second favorite team the Minnesota Vikings had two weekends in a row where fans stood up and said, “OH MY GOODNESS…DID I ACTUALLY JUST WITNESS THAT?” Unfortunately, one was good, one was bad. The Vikings, as you probably have seen a thousand times, provided a last second touchdown pass against the Saints that is one of the greatest finishes in NFL history. And then one week later, they were pummeled greatly by the Philadelphia Eagles. Nobody saw that coming. They looked pathetic. You have probably seen the video of the way the fans treated the Viking fans in Philadelphia. Horrible. Pathetic. I don’t know why people are shocked. Eagles fans have even been VOTED worst fans in the NFL before. My Skins play them twice a year. I’ve seen it many times before.
****Which leads me to this. New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl. My beautiful wife and I have already decided that we’re going to supper and a movie that night. I don’t want either team to win. The best way to not get angry is to not watch. Plus all the debate and dumb crap that happened in the NFL this season make it easier to not watch it.
10. JOKE OF THE DAY!!
Two rednecks walk down a dirt path. One man has a big sack over his shoulder. The other man asks what’s in the sack.
The first man says, “I got me some chickens for dinner tonight.”
The other man asks how many chickens are in the sack.
“Well, I’ll tell you,” replies the first redneck, “If you can guess how many chickens I got in this here sack, I’ll give them both to you.”