IT’S ALIVE!!!! IT’S ALIVE!!!!!
It’s been awhile. Life has been, ummm, interesting to say the least. I’m going to do my best to get back on track as much as I can. Thank you for your patience, and to the people that wrote to me, bless you for caring about this blog!!!
My blog is STILL sponsored by Pierson Ford in Aberdeen, SD.
Pierson Ford has some great lease specials right now on the Ford F-150’s, Escapes, Edge’s, and about any other Ford product on the lot. Have you driven an F-150 in your life? If you’re one of the few who never have, you NEED to. Find out why Ford has been the number one selling truck for 40 years now. FOUR DECADES OF NO ONE BEATING FORD! That is truly amazing by itself.
Stop in to Pierson Ford in the auto plaza in Aberdeen, or give us a call at 1-800-627-1237. And you can shop 24 hours a day at https://www.piersonford.com/
1. LET’S TICKLE YOUR FUNNY BONE!!
I’m sorry honey, what did you say?
This is my kind of graph!
This next one actually made my stomach hurt from laughing.
The demise of a great character. How sad.
Wow, they DO look alike!
2. We begin our blog with some sad news.
90’s country star Lari White has died at the age of 52 from cancer. Lari White had a few pretty good hits in the 90’s. I actually saw her for the first time at a New Country Faces Show in Nashville. I was impressed by her voice and her stage control. Do you remember her?
In Lari’s honor, I present my two favorite songs by her. See if you remember them.
Rest in peace sweet Lari.
3. This past New Year’s weekend marked the 65th anniversary of the death of my all time favorite singer/songwriter Hank Williams, SR. You may recall that he died at the tender age of 29. He is my all time fave because just look what he achieved and created by the age of 29. And with an 8th grade education. Plus, his music still lives on today. Tell anyone “hey good lookin'”, and there’s a good chance they will answer with “whatcha got cookin’?”
This is believed to be the very last picture taken of Hank.
Strange to see him without his cowboy hat.
One of my greatest thrills in the radio business was getting to meet Hank William’s steel guitar player Don Helms, and his fiddle player Jerry Rivers.
I mean, this is the guy whose steel guitar just whines on “Cold Cold Heart”, and this is the guy whose fiddle soars on “Jambalaya.” They could not have been any nicer, and they even shared some stories of Hank. That was truly a dream come true meeting these guys. When I saw them they were still doing some touring as “The Drifting Cowboys”, which was Hank’s bands name.
4. The very beautiful Patty Loveless turned 61 recently. That’s hard to believe that she has crossed the 60 barrier. To me, Patty Loveless is one of the true singers of country music. She has a “pure voice”, and can hit about any range. I have been a huge fan for decades. I don’t hear a lot of “pure voices” anymore in country music. The first time I heard Patty Loveless was when I received her first single called “After All.” I was blown away!!! She had a couple of other minor singles before that, but this is where I became a huge fan. Plus, I think she’s gorgeous.
What is my favorite Patty Loveless song? It’s hard to choose, but I think it may be this one.
5. We saw a couple of great movies lately.
First of all, Gary Oldman stars as Winston Churchill in the movie “The Darkest Hour.” This movie was INCREDIBLE. Gary Oldman has already won awards for his performance, and now he is nominated for an Academy Award for best actor, and the movie is up for movie of the year.
I would be thrilled if Gary would bring home the bacon. Great movie. Dead on as far as history is concerned.
Secondly, we just saw “Three Billboards Outside Of Ebbing, Missouri.”
This is also a very very good movie. It is also up for best picture, and some of the stars are up for an award as well. The story in this movie is amazing, and there are some turns in it that keep you on your toes.
We also went to see “The Post.”
We DID NOT like it. Enough said.
6. Pretty pumped that the movie “IT” is out on DVD. Yes, I already have it. I’ve mentioned before how terrified I am of clowns. This movie continues that horror for me, but it’s a great movie. Plus, I think I decided on a Halloween costume for next year.
Maybe the only way to get rid of my fear of clowns is to become one. Wait a minute, I have had people tell me for decades that I AM A CLOWN.
7. I sat down the other night next to my sleeping wife and turned on the movie “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” This is in my top five movies of all time and I haven’t watched it for awhile.
The terror and the nightmares I used to have when I was a kid came back in full force when “the child catcher” came on the screen.
It’s absolutely amazing. I am 53 years old and it took me right back to my childhood when I couldn’t sleep because of this movie. I’m 53 and I felt that “panic” in my chest when he came on screen. That my friends is the sign of a darn good villain.
By the way, “the child catcher” was played by Sir Robert Helpmann who died in 1986 at the age of 77.
8. I have no idea why, but I thought of Sally Jesse Raphael the other day. No idea why. Not exactly the kind of person I would just start thinking of. I must have been dozing off and saw her on TV or something.
Anyway, it got me thinking about Sally Jesse Raphael and Phil Donahue. Where are they today? Are they still alive? Yes they both are. Believe it or not, Sally Jesse and Phil are both 82 years old. EIGHTY TWO. My how time flies.
Here are a couple of pictures of them. Phil is still married to Marlo Thomas as well. The first picture is back when, and the next one is them today.
9. FINAL FOOTBALL NOTES.
****My Washington Redskins finished the year in disappointing fashion again. My final take of the year is this. If my Skins don’t sign Kirk Cousins to a long term deal, I’m going to go nuts. I don’t know what this guy has to do to get a contract. He finished the year in the top 7 quarterbacks in the league, and had been number 5 for quite a while. Sign the man already!!!
****My second favorite team the Minnesota Vikings had two weekends in a row where fans stood up and said, “OH MY GOODNESS…DID I ACTUALLY JUST WITNESS THAT?” Unfortunately, one was good, one was bad. The Vikings, as you probably have seen a thousand times, provided a last second touchdown pass against the Saints that is one of the greatest finishes in NFL history. And then one week later, they were pummeled greatly by the Philadelphia Eagles. Nobody saw that coming. They looked pathetic. You have probably seen the video of the way the fans treated the Viking fans in Philadelphia. Horrible. Pathetic. I don’t know why people are shocked. Eagles fans have even been VOTED worst fans in the NFL before. My Skins play them twice a year. I’ve seen it many times before.
****Which leads me to this. New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl. My beautiful wife and I have already decided that we’re going to supper and a movie that night. I don’t want either team to win. The best way to not get angry is to not watch. Plus all the debate and dumb crap that happened in the NFL this season make it easier to not watch it.
10. JOKE OF THE DAY!!
Two rednecks walk down a dirt path. One man has a big sack over his shoulder. The other man asks what’s in the sack.
The first man says, “I got me some chickens for dinner tonight.”
The other man asks how many chickens are in the sack.
“Well, I’ll tell you,” replies the first redneck, “If you can guess how many chickens I got in this here sack, I’ll give them both to you.”
NICE TALKING TO YOU AGAIN.